Friday, August 17, 2012

Nostalgia

The real reason I feel I must make at least a yearly pilgrimage to Ruby Valley, Nevada:  It's where all of my best stuff still is.

You know, the dolls you used to play with, the rock in the front yard that used to be so huge, the skunk smelling Kindergarten, the old school house...

And naturally, the giant brown cassette tape holder that mom's refused to throw away even though no one's listened to a cassette tape in at least fifteen years (instead she uses it to block a hole in the downstairs living room's wall where, we can only assume, rats are repelled from entering the house by the sheer massive size of said tape case).

Today I dug through the tapes in hopes of finding Willard and Rafert (1981), which are taped 60-second radio spots for Massey Ferguson tractors.

We used to listen to it and laugh like loons, because really, nothing could be funnier.

The very best news is that I found the tape and despite the fact that it's over 20 years old, it still plays!

Get ready for a party at Casa de Neff tonight!

Other tapes also found in my search:

1.  Bruce Springsteen, Darkness on the Edge of Town (1978)
2.  Johnny Horton's Greatest Hits
3.  Whitney Houston, Whitney (1987)
4.  Color Me Badd, C.M.B. (1991)
5.  Bangles, Different Light (1986)
6.  Barbie and The Rockers (1986) - this tape totally came with my rocker Barbie on my 8th birthday
7.  Johnny Biscuit, Tysman Rap (1990)
8.  Slaughter, Stick It to Ya (1990)
9.  Various recorded tapes from both of my sister's missions

If you'd ever doubted my family's coolness, I'm pretty sure this list puts those doubts to rest.

I would write more, but I'm headed out to find a tape player so I can dance like and Egyptian...

No comments: