Friday, May 18, 2012

I Knew It, But FOR THE LOVE...

I finally had the follow-up appointment yesterday with my Georgian doctor.

He walked in wearing jeans and this really tight black t-shirt.

I'm not going to lie, I almost put my hands out to check the breadth of his bicep.

He must work out.

Carolyn, naturally, was terrified of him and spent the entire appointment whimpering in the corner (she, for some reason, is now scared of all men).

When The Georgian Doctor finally got situated, he pulled a copy of my lab out of his back pocket (I mean really, where else would you carry it?) and proceeded to stare at it meticulously.

Then he looked up at me and said, "I don't know what to say.  This is just really, really weird."

Weird bad or weird funny?

Turns out that I was right on in thinking my progesterone is low.

That was just the tip of the ice berg.

My progesterone is so low, it's almost non-existent.

As in below the levels in menopausal women.

And to top it off, all of my other hormones are wonky as well.

Estrogen also = lower than a menopausal woman.

The Georgian Doctor literally rubbed his eyes as if he couldn't believe it.

So, here's the diagnosis:

Apparently since Carolyn was born, my body's been thinking it's in menopause for real.

You know, except I'm also regular as the milk truck.

Explain that one.

The prognosis:

Looks like I'll be indulging in some super awesome and aggressive hormone therapy.

He said with everything being so off the way it is, it will take roughly six months to a year to tweak all of the drugs and stabilize my levels.

And, if my body isn't resistant to basically bringing me out of semi-menopause, I have a 50% chance of having more children.

Awesome.

3 comments:

Walker Family said...

Erin, you sound a lot like me! My levels were lower than menopausal women, too, and we now have 3 kids. I will tell you the meds will give you hot flashes and night sweats, as well as other things. Let me know if you need anything!

Erin said...

Well...I'm pretty sure I've been having both hot flashes and night sweats for the past year...oh, and I've also grown almost a full, black beard. If I were a man, I'd be pretty proud of it.

Anonymous said...

I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome when I was 19. Had all the symptoms of menopause except for the fact that I would occassionally have a period. My hormones are so wonky it's ridiculous. Good luck! If you need anyone to talk to about the Hormone Therapy....been there, done that, tried almost everything.