Wednesday, February 29, 2012

It's a Small, Small World

Carolyn has a new babysitter.

She goes to our church but since she and her husband served Spanish speaking missions, they transported them over to the Spanish branch right after they moved here.

So, on Sundays, they go to church with Spanish speakers and she says that she speaks English to them and they speak Spanish to her and they understand each other perfectly.

She says her Spanish isn't quite what it should be because she served her mission in Florida and in case you didn't know, they speak English there.

Anyway, I was sitting around talking with her yesterday when I picked Carolyn up, chatting about where we grew up.

I said, "I grew up in Ruby Valley, Nevada.  It's not really near anything except Elko and Wells and no one's ever heard of those places."

Her husband chimed in to say that indeed, he had heard of them and that if he could live anywhere in the world, he would live at the base of the Ruby Mountains.

Then she spoke up and said, "Wells?  I have family that used to live in Wells."

Just try and guess who her "family" is.

I dare you.

You'll never guess, so I'll just tell you.

Neal Jones.

That's right.

Neal Jones of WHS fame.

As in I-would-not-have-passed-high-school-chemistry-without-him-Neal-Jones.

As in The-Neal-Jones-who-asked-me-to-prom-at-6 am-when-I-was-high-on-Codeine-cough-syrup-and-90%-naked.

Excuse me?

Your cousin is Neal Freakin' Jones?

Good grief, but this world gets smaller every time I turn around.

No comments: