Friday, February 22, 2008

Emergency Preparedness

Last night I was in the middle of making dinner (specifically, trying to de-seed a jalapeno pepper, something I've never done before) when the power went out. I waited for it to flicker and come back on but no such luck.

I went out to sit on the couch with Husband in the dark. I was sure that since we live in the middle of the city, that the power men would be out in full force and have our electricity repaired in no time and I could continue to cook dinner. Right.

I knew that I had one hour until Lost came on and therefore, the electric company had 59 minutes to fix the lights. Nope.

The one good thing that came out of it all was the fact that I was able to retrieve my headlamp, which I dug out of a packing box only one short month ago. I pulled it out, plunked it on my head, and started to walk around the house. I have no idea why, but it prompted Husband to emit great peals of laughter. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen Husband laugh that hard. Apparently no one in Texas knows what a headlamp is, let alone owns one (I seriously thought that everyone had one), and even if they do, they won't use it or admit it.

When we realized that indeed, the power was NOT going to come back on, Husband took me down to a restaurant and we got take out. When we got home, STILL NO POWER, so we had a very romantic dinner by headlamp light. Ok, not so much romantic as Husband was STILL laughing hysterically every three minutes.

I was going to list the reasons why having a headlamp is cool, but my friend already beat me to it and did a better job than I would have done. Here's the link: http://petersenkj.blogspot.com/2008/02/headlamp-love-rekindled.html


I think this picture is enough to prove the coolness of the headlamp (and also the double chin, which I was not able to hide on such short notice). This picture was taken in the electricity-less house while Husband was giggling uncontrollably and also unable to tell what he was pointing the camera at.

8 comments:

Porter Family said...

The headlamp is such a great tool. I have yet to own one, but I am now converted, especially after now knowing I can hook my cell phone into it and talk hands free. AWESOME! Oh, Lost was pretty good. They'll have a repeat next week during the hour before the new one. Don't worry. All is not LOST. Or, you can always watch it on abc.com

Holli said...

Erin, you and Kyle are too alike... weird!

Porter Family said...

love the background!

Erin said...

YAY!! I used the website your friend suggested - at least until I can figure out how to do the digital scrapbooking. I looked at all the directions and got a little dizzy.

Brynley said...

Headlamps rock!

Erin said...

I'm sure you took one hard look at that picture before you decided that!! AWESOME!

Holli said...

That picture of yours has got to be one of the best I've ever seen. You look like you're in a cave or something - very, very serious, America's Next Top Model Pose.

Erin said...

I guess it just goes to show you exactly how serious I am about being awesome. And also how serious I am about belonging to the headlamp club.