Friday, February 22, 2008

Hang it Up, Sister

Yesterday was the last coding class before I have to take the test next week. The night before I went to class, I almost started crying because I was trying to do my homework and didn't get ONE SINGLE ANSWER RIGHT (and I know this because I believe I was the first one in my class to figure out that all of the answers are at the back of the book...this is a trick that I learned in my math classes at Wells High).

I usually get to class a little bit early so that I can stake out my space - I require quite a bit of space because I don't like anyone to touch me. Apparently one of the other girls didn't get the hint and sat RIGHT NEXT TO ME. All through the day her papers were overlapping with mine and I could feel her breathing. It gave me that feeling like when a cat's whiskers get too close to your face.

At the end of the day, after hours and hours of practice coding (wherein I only got about 50% right), we were allowed to ask any questions we had about the test. One girl literally raised her hand and said, "How do I know when to use the CPT book (the book with all medical proceedure codes) or the ICD-9 book (the book with all the illness/disease codes)?"

Ummm...if you don't know which book to use at this point in the class, you'd better hang it up, sister because there ain't no way you're going to pass this test (see how I threw a little Texan in there?). I did, however, appreciate her honesty because now I know that I am not the village idiot of the class. Thanks for the ego boost.

No comments: