Tuesday, November 29, 2016

I Think I'll Try This.

I'm one of those people who really likes to do a lot of stuff.

Or maybe I should say that I like to try a lot of stuff.

My biggest problem in this is that I'm not really sure there's anything I'm truly good at.  You know, a jack of all trades, but a king of none.

Like, I can kind of sew.  I can kind of crochet.  I can kind of rollerblade.  I can kind of ride a bike.  I was going to say that I can kind of run, but recently, that's become a lie.  Can I count reading as a talent?  Yeah, I didn't think so.

Another problem:  I kind of never think I'll be able to do stuff, so I don't dare try it.

For instance, I wanted to major in something more difficult in college, but decided not to because I didn't think I was smart enough.  And now, I see people who are in that same field and they're idiots and I think, "If they're smart enough, surely I'm smart enough, too."

Anyway, three months ago when I started going to my new gym, the owner asked if I'd ever done any power lifting. His whole family lifts heavy stuff.  And he trains other people to lift heavy stuff.  And they go to like meets and stuff.

Um, yeah, NO.

I thought that maybe I might try it one day and then about two weeks later, found out I was pregnant, and put it on the back burner.

Then today as I was squatting (and almost dying), the people-who-lift-heavy-stuff were dead lifting right behind me and I thought, "Surely I could do at least what they're doing."

So, I opened my big, fat mouth, and was all like, "Hey, do you mind if I watch you to kind of get the form down?"

Can opened.  Worms everywhere.

Because apparently you don't just watch to get the form down.

No, sir, they load up the bar and you try leg width and grip and toe placement and shin placement and weight maximums.  And then they tell people to come over and watch you to see what you can do.

And get this.  They gave me chalk for my hands and a weight belt.  Legit.

And you get down there and try to remember everything they've told you and just pray to God that you don't spontaneously urinate all over the mat (that's a real fear).

And then everyone is giving you pointers and you're all like, "Listen, I can only remember like two things at a time, so I'm going to have to incorporate your suggestion next time."

I mean, who knew there were that many things I'd have to remember?  Pick up the weight and stand up, right?

Easy.

Nope.

It's like this choreographed dance.  Now, we all know what an amazing dancer I am, but hot damn, it's harder than it looks.

Anyway, I figure I'll give it a try for a minute.

But only because I've recent found out that you have to be at least six feet tall to be on a rowing team.

No comments: