Thursday, July 25, 2013

For the Record: 3-Years-Old

Carolyn's 3-year check-up was today.

Here are the stats:

Height:  40 inches
Weight:  45 pounds

I had to put my hand over one eye and then the other for the eye test and this did not make her happy at all.  The eye chart has pictures on it.  Like hearts, circles, and crosses.  Oh, and the Greek flag, which Carolyn identified as "a window".

And, as expected, I was told that I needed to put Carolyn on a semi-diet because she weighs too much. 

I get it.  No, really, I do.  Being a healthy weight throughout your life starts at a very young age.  But, being skinny as a youth doesn't guarantee that you'll remain that way into adulthood either.  I'm not going to lie, it kind of hurts my feelings to hear it - every, single time - because  my kid, while heavier than other kids her age, is rock heavy, not flabby heavy.

Plus, it scares me that my kid is picking up on it.  I started being teased for my weight when I was eight.  And I've worried and fretted about what the scale says ever since.  Yes, I want my child to be healthy.  Yes, I want her to eat right.  But what's more important to me is that no matter how she looks physically, that she realizes that having a nice body is not the only thing that's important in this world.

Have I gotten too worked up about this?  And probably read more into it than there actually is?  Probably. 

No comments: