Friday, March 30, 2012

I'm Totally a DIYer

Carolyn has this sticker fetish.

She loves them.

I was going broke buying them until I remembered that back when I was a Girl Scout, one of the other leaders had made re-usable window cling-on stickers out of Elmer's glue.

I searched and searched the Internet and found this idea.

I tore a page out of Carolyn's favorite coloring book for my template.

This is supposed to be a bear (and yes, there is such a thing as a purple bear):



And this is a whale:




Carolyn really seemed to like the whale (the bear was not quite dry at time of publishing):






The light through them is really pretty:



Things I didn't know/would do differently/really liked:

1.  If I recall correctly, the ones the Girl Scout leader made were a bit more gummy and therefore, stuck to the window a little better.  I'll keep looking for that one because I liked the texture better.

2.  It doesn't take very much food coloring to color a full bottle of glue.  Just so you know.

3.  This takes a lot more glue than I thought it would.  Had I known how much, I would've bought one of those jugs of glue instead of individual bottles.

4.  It's pretty difficult to distribute the glue evenly on the plastic cover sheets - it kept retracting in so the middle is really gluey and the outside isn't.

5.  That being said, I really like how it's kind of light in some places and darker in others.  It almost makes me look like an artistic genius.

6.  It takes a hell of a lot longer than 12 hours to dry.

7.  Because it takes so long to dry, if you don't have counter space available for drying, I wouldn't recommend this (I eventually had to hang them on the front of the refrigerator so I could fix dinner.  The bear cling-on started to run, so I had to whip it off before it dripped right off the plastic sheet).

8.  They stick to the window really well and are easily removable - for adults.  Carolyn had a hard time getting a good seal and then pulling it back off because of how thin it is.

9.  Carolyn twisted and pulled on the whale though, and it seems virtually indestructible.



1 comment:

Becky said...

Impressive! Once again, don't ever say you aren't crafty! You are an awesome DIYer!