Friday, April 24, 2009

Venting My Frustrations

One of the girls at massage class set me up with an interview at a local credit union for a teller position. While the position pretty much seems to be mine for the taking and I want another job sooooo bad, I'm going to have to tell them no. Here are my frustrations:

1. They're offering $9/hour. That's $3200 less/year than I'm making now, which is just barely above the level where I would qualify for food stamps. For real. If it were $10, I might bite the bullet and take it, but where the offer stands there's no way.

2. During the interview, the lady and I were talking about me living in Japan and how much I loved my job there (when I actually got to do it). She made this statement, "You know, you really have to love what you're doing and if you don't, you should find something else. Life's too short." I couldn't help but think that even if I worked for a credit union and liked my job, it's not what I want to do nor is it on the path of where I want to go.

3. I'm kind of caught between a rock and a hard place - I finish school in July but probably won't be certified until November or December. Even then, I'll more than likely have to stay at my current job until I build enough clientele to make a semi-decent living. Somewhere in there, we'd like to start a family. I can't really commit to a new job when I'm planning to be there for less than a year.

4. I'm frustrated that I'm still competing for the same jobs as people who are just out of high school. I know that I have no experience in banking, but the experience I do have ought to count for something, right? I'm watching all my other friends moving on and moving up and yet here I am stuck in the sludge. It's just not where I pictured myself at age 30.

No comments: