I found several ideas on Pinterest on how to transfer photos to canvas on your own (because have you seen how much it costs to order a canvas picture? Good grief! It's like the same amount as a car payment. Or enough to buy 724 dipped cones at Dairy Queen).
In the end, due to my extreme inability to successfully craft anything, I just modge podged the printed pictures to the canvases.
It turned out alright, I think:
Carolyn thinks I made them especially for her to sit on, step on, and throw around:
I also tried to transfer some photos to blocks of wood.
And this is how that looks:
Things I didn't realize/would do differently:
1. You would assume that if you ordered 8x10 photos to put on 8x10 canvases, they would totally fit automatically. Well, they don't. I ended up having to crop the pictures by about 1/2 inch on both sides. And you know what a horrible cutter I am - I totally can't cut anything in a straight line, even when using a ruled cutter.
2. Finding someone at Lowe's who can cut you some 5x7 blocks of wood is apparently impossible. Because I ended up with three 5.5x7 blocks instead. That's it. I'm buying my own saw.
3. I can't really figure out how to hang up the wooden blocks - I was thinking about hot gluing some ribbon to the back but then figured out that would be ugly.
4. Is there no way to make modge podge go on more smoothly?
5. No one told me that just around the corner from the shallow canvases I bought, there were deeper canvases. I totally would have bought those had I known. I mean, the shallow ones are fine, but the others would have added more dimension.
6. I really have no idea where I'll put either one of these works of art. We're lacking in wall space around here.