Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Birther

Preg testing is a big part of ranch life.  Every year, we used to gather the heifers (cows calving for the first time) and run them through the chute so the vet could determine the following:  1.  If they were pregnant.  2.  How far along they were.  3.  Pelvic measurements.

Pelvic measurements are important because it can indicate whether or not the heifer will do well calving.  I always felt particularly proud of those with big measurements and sad for those who didn't - because if dad had held back too many heifers, those were the first to be kicking their lunch buckets down the road.

So anyway.  I have a point.  No, really, I do.

Turns out that I'm one of those heifers...except I'm a girl...whose pelvic measurements are apparently less than desirable.  And by less than desirable, I mean so little, I'm better suited to give birth to ferrets.  Or a batch of puppies.

The Doctor did an ultrasound before birth and then raced into the room with the measurements to let me know that the reason the baby probably hadn't dropped was because her shoulders literally wouldn't fit into the pelvic opening.  Hey, it's not my fault I was carrying Ndomokung Su's twin in my uterus.

I was scheduled for a c-section 30 hours later.  Sigh.

Here I am preparing for surgery:



By this point, I was all sweated up and I'm pretty sure I'd cried hysterically at least four times.  This picture also makes it look like I'm missing some teeth, which I may have been for all I know.

Here is Husband preparing for surgery:


He made the mistake of joking with the Indian nurse that he wasn't going to give the scrubs back when he was done with them.  She didn't think that was funny at all.

I had an epidural.  I shook like a leaf.  Anyone who says epidurals don't hurt is lying.  The good news is, I was totally and completely bonded with the nurse anaesthetist on the basis that he graduated from TCU, I from BYU, and his team regularly tromps mine in football.  See, football really can bring people together.

Here's the first Peters family picture:

 
I was still sure at this point that I was dying, so I didn't notice they hadn't cleaned the cream cheese off my baby.  That smile on my face is delirium.

Here's Husband, looking proud:


After the baby was out, they herded Husband out of the room and finished sewing up my uterus...which was just outstanding.

Then they moved me into the recovery room where the effects of the epidural began to wear off and the itching set in.  No one told me it would be so bad that I would wish I could scratch off my entire face.

And finally, here I am proving that not everyone should have a picture holding their baby while still in a hospital gown:



The rest of the time in the hospital was spent not resting, eating the worst hospital food I've ever tasted (except for the lemon jello), and watching the nurses wheel Carolyn in and out of the room every three hours to be fed (good Lord, but breast feeding is not for the faint of heart) in between her stints under the biliruben light (thanks to the fact that Baby and I have different blood types putting her at high risk for jaundice...or something like that).

9 comments:

Porter Family said...

Erin, way to go!!! I had no idea you had a c-section, you crazy girl! Epidurals hurt like a mother if you aren't having psychotic contractions to cover up the pain. And no wonder you're having feeding issues, missy! Good grief, don't be so hard on yourself. :) Carolyn is beautiful! I'm so happy for you guys!!!!!!!

Kimberly said...

Congrats on the new baby!

Kristen said...

I totally agree with Heather. I have never cared that they stuck a 5 inch needle in my back, because I was writhing in pain with contractions. And the shakes and the itches are still fresh in my mind.

I enjoyed reading your "baby story". Keep the pics and stories coming.

Hooper Neffs said...

Awe....Nice first family picture. I didn't get to see Britain for the first time until I was in recovery. Maybe that was because he came out with a major cone head and they needed to reshape it so I wouldn't freak out.
You have a beautiful baby girl!

Nick, Kristen, Kaysen, Breklyn and Brayden said...

Oh honey I feel for you! No wonder why me and you where such good friends we have the same pelvic problems and have to have c-sections! I hope you are recovering well and yes breastfeeding can totally suck at first. It gets easier and better. She is beautiful and you look wonderful. Good luck with everything and if you need anything please please please let me know!

heather peavey said...

Congrats on the new baby, she is beautiful!! I had the same problem with my pelvic measurements, I had to have both of my sons c-section. I didn't have the itching, but the shakes were horrible! My husband, who helps run the family ranch, told me that if I were a heifer they would have sold me already. Not the most comforting statement, but true. Boof asked the nurse about keeping his scrubs too, he got the same reaction. He made it out of the hospital with them, without incident. I just wanted to share those thoughts with you. Again congrats on the new addition.

Kendra said...

Yay! So happy she made it here! :)

And, you'll never love your pictures with her in the hospital, simply because we're our own worst critics! But regardless, my significant other has our first family photo framed...we get over it, I promise!

Anonymous said...

You make an awfully pretty tiny-pelvicked (I....made that word up. I think) heifer.

You and Husband and Baby Carolyn make an awfully pretty little family. Y'all are vewy bootiful (to quote that cute little bunny on Robin Hood).

diana said...

Love seeing pictures of baby and proud parents. She's just so great!
P.S. I did try to itch my face off too, it's the worst part of a c-section, that and getting up the first time, oh or having your pirahna baby literally eat a hole in your bosom, hmmmm sleepless nights, crazy hormones... Why do we do this to ourselves? Yah, I remember now because they are the most amazing little things ever!!! She's just wonderful and we are so happy for you guys!