Saturday, September 26, 2009

What Do You Think I Was Thinking?

My very favorite part of College Football Saturday are the sportscasters. I love it because half of the stuff they say is either stupid or glaringly obvious.

The very best ones are the field reporters who ask questions like, "So, you're losing. What do you think about that?"

What do you think I'm thinking about it? I obviously didn't come to lose so I'm probably pretty upset.

The best answer I've ever heard to one of these questions came last night at the end of the Iowa game. Lisa Salters, field reporter for ESPN, was interviewing the Iowa head coach after their win:

Lisa Salters: So, after that last touchdown, Penn State came out on their possession and had a run from the line of scrimmage for 59 yards...

Iowa Coach: Oh, you noticed that?

Lisa Salters: Yeah.

Iowa Coach: So did I.

Lisa Salters: So what were you thinking?

Iowa Coach: CRAP. Plain and simple. I was thinking, "CRAP."

And then as the camera is panning away and the microphone is still turned on, "I can say that on TV, right? Crap is TV safe?"

No comments: